The Careers Hub
Welcome to the careers department. Our Careers Leader is Mrs Gail Maddison and can be contacted by telephone on 01380 724886 or via email at
[email protected]. Independent careers advice can be obtained through Mrs Maddison on request.
Introduction to the Careers Department
The careers leader manages and coordinates arrangements for effective careers education, information, and guidance for all students. At Devizes School, we offer:
- A structured programme of careers education for years 7 to 13.
- Careers interview practice from year 9 upwards.
- Access to Careers Pilot on the Web site for all students to use
At Devizes School we feel it is very important that our students are able to identify as many career pathways that are open to them as possible, this is to ensure they have the potential to make informed choices and the knowledge to make confident decisions for their future.
We offer guidance and advice to all of our students concerning matters such as college and sixth form applications, apprenticeship advice, university guidance, CV preparation and employment opportunities. As part of the Careers education, students will have their own Careers Passport through CareerPilot which they will work on throughout their time at school and also support experiences of the workplace delivered through Year 10 and sixth form.
Careerpilot - Careers Portal and Work Experience
We have created a strong relationship with local colleges, which allows us to promote all of the open events and taster days that are available to our students. We frequently invite external speakers and employers into our school from various institutes to help inspire our students to reach their full potential. We welcome any further links to external providers and employers so please get in touch.
As part of our continued careers support, the school offers various events spread throughout the year, the programme of events we offer for both parents and students includes:
- Year 9 options evening
- Sixth Form Open Evening
- Mock Interviews
- University Trips
- Visits to Businesses
- Workshops from Universities, Colleges and Businesses
- Apprenticeship workshops
- Student Finance workshops
- Visits to colleges
- Oxbridge application workshops
- Armed Forces and Wiltshire Police talks
- Gap Year sessions
Every year we visit various education providers, these trips range from HE fairs to campus visits with subject tasters, allowing our students to start thinking about university options from as early as possible.
Staff can find Careers information on the Careers folder in the Staff Shared Area.
The effectiveness and impact of the school's career's program is measured using:
- the Compass+ evaluation tool which provides feedback against each of the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks (completed 2 times a year)
- Analysis of destination data at the end of KS4 and 5 (completed annually)
- Completion of intended destinations of Y11 and 13 (completed three time annually)
- Students voice and feedback (completed annually)