The motto of Devizes School Science Department is ‘Life’s a lab’. We embody this motto and aim to develop our students into well rounded, global citizens who observe and think critically about the world around them. We aim to develop their interest and enthusiasm for science and promote future study and career prospects within the subject.
Studying science at Devizes school will give every student the opportunity to:
- develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of science and how they link together.
- develop and demonstrate the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem-solving skills
- use theories, models and ideas to develop scientific explanations
- carry out experimental and investigative activities
- analyse and interpret data to provide evidence
- evaluate methodology, evidence and data in different investigative contexts
- consider the applications and implications of science on the human race
- consider ethical issues in the applications of science
- evaluate the role of the scientific community in validating new knowledge and ensuring integrity
- evaluate the ways in which society uses science to inform decision making.
Students start their journey in Year 7 and 8 following a newly designed and resourced course structured around the KS3 National Curriculum for Science. Students begin their KS4 programme of study in Year 9 following the AQA specifications for GCSE combined science (2 GCSEs) or GCSE Separate Sciences (3 GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Post-16, students have option of studying A-levels in all 3 sciences, following the AQA specifications for Biology and Chemistry, and the OCR specification for Physics.
Please click on the links below for more detail about our programmes of study: