Year 10 student Alex has had an absolutely stunning year when it comes to his love of swimming. At the age of just 15 he has already achieved so much as well as working hard to earn great school grades. Training is tough (7 days a week) which includes very early starts and lots of travelling to competitions and events. Supported hugely by his parents, Alex has travelled up and down the country for his sport. As a school we are so proud, Alex is such a great ambassador and example to others.
Ali Beck Head of PE says: ‘Alex is a phenomenal athlete and student. His dedication to his sport of swimming it truly fantastic, and as such he has been rewarded with the honour of swimming at the highest level. His determination and dedication is a real credit to him and his family, who have also made many sacrifices for his success. But what sets Alex apart, is how he balances his swimming with his academic studies. Alex is an intelligent, articulate and mature young man who dedicates as much effort into his studies as his swimming, and as such is making excellent progress. We are really proud to have supported Alex on his journey here at school and in the pool, and we wish him the very best of luck at the Nationals.’
Alex is a member of Trowbridge ASC and trains at the University of Bath with the Team AS Performance Swimming team.
His achievements over the last few months include:
- Selected for the Wiltshire county team for the 3rd year running to compete in the National County Team Championships at Sheffield in October. Helped Wiltshire to their best finish in 3 years
- Came 3rd in the 200m Butterfly final at Winter Regionals at Millfield and achieved the qualifying time to enter the National Winter Championships
- Swam at 200m Butterfly at National Winter Championships at Sheffield, which also doubled as the Commonwealth Games trials. Came 50th overall and was the 18th ranked youth swimmer.
- Swam at the Wiltshire County Championships. He was the overall champion at 200m Butterfly and 50m Butterfly and age 16 gold medallist at 50m and 100m Backstroke, 50m, 100m and 200m Butterfly and silver medallist at the 50m Freestyle.
- Competed at the City of Bristol National Qualifying Meet in April where he swam 2:14.19 for the 200m Butterfly which is the time that subsequently qualified him for British summer Nationals.
- Swam at South West Regional Championships at Plymouth in early May. Came 13th in the 50m Backstroke. Was 5th in the final of the 50m Butterfly, silver medallist in the 100m Butterfly and gold medallist in the 200m Butterfly. The times for the 50m and 100m Butterfly qualified him to swim at English summer Nationals.
Alex’s amazing achievements don’t just stop there. The confirmed lists for this year’s British Swimming and Swim England Summer Championships have now been released, and we’re delighted to say that Alex has qualified to swim the 200m Butterfly at British and the 100m Butterfly and 50m Butterfly in Sheffield at the end of July and beginning of August. This is a great achievement for Alex and a testament to his hard work in the pool and the gym, including the Sports Academy sessions on Friday mornings in school. Outside of the pool Alex is a keen mathematician and hopes to do well next year when he takes his GCSEs. He intends staying on at Devizes 6th Form for his A Levels and would love to eventually do a degree in Mathematics. Of course Alex will carry on with his swimming and hopes to qualify for the Commonwealth Games and even further than that the Olympics one day.
We all wish the same for him and support him fully. He is a star already as far as we are concerned.
What's coming up
Year 9 Options Evening
Year 9 Options Evening will be held on Thursday 17th January fromread more
Public and Internal Exams 2019
Year 13 have public and internal exams until 21st January. For aread more
Year 10 Parents' Evening 2019
Year 10 Parents' Evening will take place on Thursday 24th January fromread more